If you want to take food or drink with you to take away from home and keep it warm, you have safe options free of harmful substances, which when released, would end up in your body.
Whether we take food to work, travel or camping, there are numerous thermal options that help keep food hot or cold for hours. Also in this case we have healthier options than others.
We chose glass lunch boxes for warming, rather than plastic, because we know that heating food can release toxic substances from the plastic. But, when looking for thermal solutions to transport food and beverages, it is also important to look at the materials.
Food and liquids will be in contact with these materials for hours, and in many cases hot. We are interested in having effective and safe solutions.
FIRST OPTION: THERMAL BAGS
Our lunch box or Tupper made of healthy materials is still an option when we want to take our food with us and keep it warm. For this we only need to get a thermal bag.
Thermal bags are the most economical option, very suitable for cold foods or that you want to consume at room temperature. Here the key is to choose the material of the lunch box or the bottle in which you will transport your food or drink, even if they are not thermal.
We can opt for containers and bottles made of healthy materials, free of bisphenols such as BPA or BPS, phthalates and other toxins. The most recommended are glass, stainless steel (if we are not allergic) or pure titanium. In the market we can find lunch boxes of different sizes, shapes and even several floors to be able to carry a complete meal.
We will transport these containers in our thermal bag, which will help us keep the food cold (from 4 to 6 hours) or hot (about 2 hours). In the market we have a wide variety of bags to choose from, of different sizes, designs and ranges. The highest quality ones have an interior with a waterproofing coating that is free of BPA and phthalates. The exterior in some is made with organic cotton.
LUNCH BOXES AND THERMOS BOTTLES
With this option we double, at least, the temperature conservation of the food, which can reach 10 hours for cold foods and 5 hours for hot foods, depending on the model and brand. There are containers of different capacities and shapes, even with a double container to carry different foods without mixing.
The 18/8 stainless steel lunch boxes are the standout. This type of steel is a high quality, safe and durable material that does not absorb odors or flavors. In fact, it is the same steel used in kitchens and hospitals. They are also double-walled and completely airtight and comfortable to transport liquid foods, such as soups and creams, without the risk of leaks.
All other materials in the lunch box, not just the interior, should also be toxic-free, such as polypropylene threads or food grade silicone.
THERMOS FOR TRANSPORTING LIQUIDS
The world of steel thermoses and bottles has evolved a lot in design, materials and possibilities. Now there are even transparent thermos that allow you to see the content, with a double wall of borosilicate glass, a resistant material and one of the safest. Some also include stainless steel filters to prepare hot infusions or flavored waters and cold natural soft drinks.
It is worth knowing some brands specialized in non-toxic materials that offer high quality products and that are very socially and environmentally committed, generating less waste and betting on a more sustainable lifestyle. We can mention Klean Kanteen, Unold, Keith, Aladdin, Iris or A Slice of Green.
Klean Kanteen Stainless Steel Bottles
- Stainless steel thermal bottles. They have a cap with a stainless steel interior and a handle for easy transport. Three sizes to choose from.
Japanese Inspired Aladdin Thermos
- The double-walled thermos Bento container is made from polypropylene, a recyclable and BPA-free material. Keeps hot or cold up to 5 hours. In various colors.
Qwetch Stainless Steel Lunch Box in Turquoise
- With double-walled body, in stainless steel. The thread is made of polypropylene and silicone, free of BPA and phthalates. Keeps food cold for 7 hours and hot for 5 hours.
TeaTox glass bottle with two filters
- TeaTox borosilicate glass thermos (one of the safest materials and also very resistant) with stainless steel filters. 330 ml.
Food on the Go Kilner Glass Jar for Snacks
- Keeps your food fresh and crisp. It also incorporates a stainless steel tank for dressings and sauces. 0.5 l and 1 l.
Keith Titanium Containers
- Keith containers are made of pure titanium(purity greater than 99%), a safe, light and resistant material. You can heat liquids inside.
Keep Leaf printed bag
- Made of organic cotton, with a waterproof inner polyester coating (BPA and phthalate free). It has a compartment to store a cutlery or napkin.
Monbento Lunch Box
- Box with two totally hermetic differentiated containers. The lower one is suitable for hot food, as it is made of PBT plastic, without BPA or BPS.